Times of Conflict, Times of Peace

 Times of conflict, Times of Peace

So, you want to play some Football?

Ever feel conflicted? You know…you wish you could have everything turn out right for all sides? But of course, that can’t always happen. When I’m reading a book or writing one, I can become so invested in my characters, I want the story to end “happily ever after” for everyone. For all the “good guys” anyway. And I secretly harbor the notion that the villains in my stories learn from their mistakes and change their evil ways.

Of course that’s not always true to life.

After church this past Sunday, Mike I and tuned into an NFL game. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Ohio playing against the Cincinnati Bengals.

I remember going door to door in my college years at the University of South Florida gaining signatures for Tampa to get an NFL team. I remember living through those first few years of losing game after game. It was tough. 

When Tom and I moved to Cincinnati, we were still Buccaneer fans. At least for the first few years. Slowly, we started cheering for the Bengals but remained conflicted when the two teams met face to face.



Now I am married to Mike, living in Florida again. We watched the Bengals and Buc’s game after church. Once again, I felt conflicted. I wanted both teams to win. 

But that isn’t the way football works. 

Or life.

Or my books.

Yes! The Book is Out!
There is always some sort of conflict or disturbance. Somebody always prevails over somebody else. Or overcomes an issue. Without conflict or without some disturbance, there is no story. 

I just finished reading John Grisham’s The Widow. Now I’m reading P.J. Braley’sThe Painted Fan. Two different genres but characters in both hanging on the edge of disturbance by their teeth, their fingernails clawing for something to grab to keep them from falling.

Disturbance. Conflict. Life.

Most of my readers know I’m a believer and follower of Jesus. Before all the football games started, Mike and I had already been to church where the topic was the crucifixion of Jesus. The pastor was graphic. 

Disturbance. Conflict. Death. But there is a good ending to that event. One of hope for all of us. 

Yep. I read the end of the Book and we win. The bad guys lose. Everything. 

So, when I’m feeling conflicted about life…when the day’s news is disturbing…I cling to the hope and promise of Life. Goodness. Grace. Love. 

These are disturbing times. The best I can offer? Read The Book for yourself. Don’t take my word for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Candle

Hiking Across Florida

Kosova: The Soft Launch, Chapter 1 Scene 2