Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Blogging...a Journey


 Blogging…a Journey

 

Some authors maintain a blog because they have something to say…outside of their books. 

 

Occasionally, a book emerges from a blog. The “Julie/Julia Project,” a blog by Julie Powell was later turned into a memoir and then became the award winning movie Julie and Julia. That’s one example. And there are others.

 

I was told at my first writing conference I had to blog. 

 

I didn’t even know what a blog was until then. I heard the term, but thought it was some sort of electronic diary. Maybe it is. For some. 

 

I had a hard time keeping up with one of those tiny diaries with a key when I was a child. I tried maintaining a journal as a young mother but that fell by the wayside in favor of keeping up with the laundry.

 


Still, since my publisher told me I had to have a blog, I knew I would do it. I spent the summer of 2011 “studying” blogging. I enrolled in a free blogging course offered by Jeff Goins and tried to read blogs by other authors. I was doing this while I was finishing my first book. The publisher wanted my manuscript by December 1. And…I was still teaching my final courses at the university.

 

I loved teaching. I fully enjoyed writing. Blogging? I was stymied.

 

My publisher expected it of me so I jumped in and started A Novel Creation. The blog was to be my take on how a beginner learns to craft a novel. I was the beginner. I officially began the blog in January 2012.

 

My research on blogging revealed that consistency was key. I knew I couldn’t write daily as a few bloggers do. I decided monthly wouldn’t do much to build an audience. I settled on writing a weekly post. I invited others to join me in my writing journey.

 

I wrote about lessons I was learning about pace, point of view, editing, and revision. Lots of revision. I learned I could interview other writers for the blog and other writers wanted to interview me. I reviewed books and articles. I started building what is known in the industry as a platform. A small platform.

 

When I moved to Kosovo in 2017, I became the novel creation. I wrote about my life there, an American living in a southeastern European country. My readership grew. People enjoyed reading about my adventures and mishaps as an American in Europe. 

 

Now my blog is more about my life journey. I am not afraid to share my feelings and views. I still write from time-to-time about my life as a novelist and often feel compelled to share what I learn through writing, publishing, and being part of the writing community. 

 

I’m sure my publisher wanted me to build an audience for my book, but blogging has offered me so much more. 

 

Consistency and deadlines: Writing on a regular basis with a deadline is paramount to success for any author. My weekly blog posts have made that a part of my writing DNA. They may not always be stellar, but they are posted. Consistency yields discipline.

 

Voice: Finding your writing voice is critical to success as an author. The publishing world doesn’t need “more of the same.” Readers need to hear what you say and how you say it. Blogging frees the writer to do that. 

 

When my husband died in late October of 2014, I felt as though the ink ran out of my pen. I had no words to share. Only grief. My blog posts were already scheduled through November and into December so I didn’t need to think about writing for a while. 

 

I was committed to the consistency of writing so I stayed with my blog and managed to keep the blog going. A few months after I moved to Kosovo (2017) and began blogging about my life there, a writer friend messaged me. She told me I was writing again; I had once again found my voice. Those were words of encouragement. Words that prompted me to begin the submission process and publish once again.

 

Connections: Now I understand “platform.” It isn’t about building readership; people who will one day buy one of your books. It’s about connecting with people. Connecting other writers and with readers. It’s about sharing a bit of yourself and inviting people to join you in life’s journey. Of course I want people to buy my books. And leave reviews.

 

But what I really want is for people to get to know me as a person. I want them to know I am a believer and follower of Jesus Christ. I want them to know I love and care about others. I want them to know I am a person of substance and worth and that I value them for their own substance and worth. 

 

I’ve been blogging consistently for almost nine years now. If I live through 2021, I will have blogged for ten years. That is mind boggling to me. Or shall I say mind “bloggling.” (Not a word, by the way.)

 

If you’re a follower, thank you. If you’re a new reader, welcome. If you’re on a journey, I’ll walk with you. And if you’re a blogger? Keep it up.

 

Thank you for reading. I’d love to hear from you in the comments below.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here. I look forward to hearing from you.