Tuesday, February 14, 2023

The Proposal

 The Proposal

 

“I’m going to do this right,” Mike said. He got down on one knee. 

 

Actually, engagements are rarely the big and dramatic events we see in Hallmark movies. Love grows over time. Rarely is the woman totally surprised. 


Hmmm...Perhaps it would be better to start this post at the beginning.

 

If you’ve read my blog these past couple of weeks you already know that I am engaged to be married in April to a wonderful man named Mike. We’ve known each other since ninth grade. We reconnected via our high school class reunion.

 

We’ve enjoyed the traditional dates at restaurants and such, but being the very modern, young couple we are, we talk and text a lot. We keep our cell phones busy. 


“LOL”

 

Once we made the decision to marry, Mike wanted me to pick out the ring of my dreams. I did. I think my choice surprised him. He was ready and willing  to deck me out with a big diamond solitaire that announced to the world I was engaged to be married. 

 

“I’m just not that kind of girl,” I explained. “This is the one I love. It makes me feel like a princess.” Yes, I actually said that. Princess and all. But it’s true. I love this ring and all it symbolizes.

 

Mike had to have it resized. He brought it to my house on December 29th. Yep, he drove those 930+ miles to propose.

 

Not a Christmas gift. It was after Christmas but in time for the New Year.

 

“I’m going to do this right,” Mike said. He got down on one knee. (Hey, for a man in his sixties…that’s commitment right there.)

 

He opened the velvet box with the red ribbon revealing the ring. “Becky Williams Waters, will you marry me?”

 

I have to admit this was more overwhelming than I imagined. It turns out I was surprised after all. Tears of joy welled up in my eyes. The smile on my face was so big it hurt. I was giddy. I know many women have heard those words…”will you marry me”…but this man… this man I love kneeling before me stirred my heart in a way I did not expect. 

 

“Absolutely!” I told him.

 

Mike took the ring from the box and put it on my finger.

And then he kissed me.

 


We met up later with my oldest daughter, Allison, at a park to snap some engagement pictures. There was still a bit of snow on the ground and a chill in the air. It was perfect. I’m posting some of those photos here. Enjoy!





 


2 comments:

Leave your comments here. I look forward to hearing from you.