Friday, January 11, 2013

The Difference Between Getting Organized and Getting Started


I have my calendar started and I have sketched out profiles for the characters for my book. I have tried to get organized. I kept thinking I could just get started writing if I did this one more thing to get ready. The latest was the thought that even though I have a pretty good calendar of events planned for my story, I thought it would be helpful to have a long strip of paper I could tack up to the wall and create a timeline. Sounds good, right?

When most of the world went digital, a local business donated rolls of adding machine tape to my classroom. We used it to make historical timelines, scrolls, charts, and graphs for many years. I was up late into the night last night thinking about where I might get some of that adding machine tape. For some reason, I was sure I couldn’t really start writing until I could hang the long strip of paper above my desk.

This morning my husband wanted pecan waffles. We went to Waffle House. I was just finishing my meal when Tom handed the money over to our server. She smiled sweetly and began ringing up our bill on the register right next to us. Something was jammed so she removed the roll of paper receipt tape from the machine.

“That’s just what I need!” I told her.

She actually pulled off about three feet of undamaged tape from the damaged spool and gave it to me. I carefully rolled the precious tape and put it in my pocket.

I didn’t really need it. I realized the minute our server put it in my hands that I didn’t need it. I was just delaying the real work. Writing. God knew. I could just hear Him chuckling, “You think you need adding machine tape? Here you go. Now enough with the excuses. Write already.”

I came home and hammered out 950 words. I know from past experience I may trash most of it tomorrow, but I am writing. And I am excited.  Sonja’s story is on its way.

1 comment:

  1. Agree, sometimes you just need to put the pen to paper and get going. Sometimes I'm able to build momentum from there - so even if it's not perfect, or maybe not even great, a start is a start!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here. I look forward to hearing from you.