Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Word Count Wednesday: How I Spent My Words


My intent for my first 10,000 words was to introduce my audience to my main character or characters and begin to suggest a story line. I also wanted to establish the setting. I discovered in developing the backstory that I really have two stories going on. I have a story about the original owners of the coffee shop, Shirley and Joe, and the story of the new owner, Sonja Parker.

I started with a prologue offering a reason the previous owners sell the coffee shop. The coffee shop is in Door County, Wisconsin. The location is a popular summer vacation destination. Sonja, my original character is drawn to the prospect of a seasonal business. As Sonja moves in and prepares for the summer onslaught of tourists, she begins to unravel the story of Shirley and Joe, the older couple who made “Shirley’s Cuppa Joe” so successful.  She also begins to learn more about herself.

So where am I now? 14,720 words. I spent the first five hundred words on the prologue.

THE PROLOGUE HAS BEEN DELETED.

SHIRLEY'S CUPPA JOE 

IS IN THE FINAL STAGES OF REVISION BEFORE GOING TO THE EDITOR.

I WILL ANNOUNCE ON THE BLOG WHEN THE BOOK IS PUBLISHED.


THANK YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here. I look forward to hearing from you.