Wednesday, May 4, 2016

What's Up Wednesday? Transparent Blogging

Last week I asked readers to let me know what they would like to see from my blog. While few responded on the post itself, I heard from several people via Facebook and email and through face-to-face interactions. Interesting. Maybe I should write a post on how to “leave a comment.”

Actually, I don’t mind. It’s fun to have someone strike up a conversation at church on Sunday morning with the words, “I’ve been thinking about your blog…”


So what do my readers think? It turns out, they like it when I am transparent. In everything. Here are a few comments I heard this week:

“My favorite posts are the ones where you share your heart.”
“I like the ones about writing, but mostly when you let us know you don’t know it all!”
“I like the ones about your family.”
“My favorite interviews are the ones where you make me feel like I’m in the room with you. That’s cool but I think it would be really cool if you’d do them on video or something.”
“The ones that make me cry are the best.”

I started the blog as a way to explore the process of writing. I know I’ve used it to share personal experiences from time to time, but it isn’t that what shapes me as a writer? And I like being able to feature up and coming authors on the blog as well. One of them may be you one day!

So what’s next? A schedule. I’ll continue to write about writing. I’ll continue to feature other writers and their work, and I’ll continue to be reflective. My intent, however, is to do this on a schedule.

I’m dedicating the first Wednesday of the month to the “business of writing.” This includes planning, marketing, blogging and so forth.

The second Wednesday will address issues of crafting the novel. I research and share what I’m learning as I write.

The third Wednesday is my opportunity to feature other authors. This will include interviews (And yes, I may try my hand at a few video interviews in the future.), guest posts, and book reviews.

I am saving the fourth Wednesday of the month to be personal and reflective. Life doesn’t always shape up on schedule, but as often as possible, this will be my plan.

So what shall I do with the occasional fifth Wednesday? The plan is to offer excerpts from my own writing on those days.


It’s a plan. Now to put it to work. Oh, and the winner of the gift card last week was Nancy Hallo of Hudson Florida. Congrats, Nancy!

2 comments:

Leave your comments here. I look forward to hearing from you.