Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Cauliflower, Cabbage, and College

Cauliflower, Cabbage and College

I am working on a contemporary novel set in the fictional town of Longneck, Indiana. My main character is William Morganthaler, a young wounded warrior starting his own business. It is a suspense novel. 

 

I was looking for a proverb or saying of some sort that might hang on Will’s office wall. Several about success came to mind. Those sounded appropriate for his tool and die operation, but I wanted something a bit more vague or something he could call on for inspiration when he faces down the antagonist. I haven’t reached that place in my book yet, but you get the idea.

 

So like any good author, I set out searching the internet for interesting sayings.  I soon found myself probing into the words of Mark Twain. I’m not sure any of his quotes will make it into my book, but they were so entertaining, I decided to share a few of them here. Some are simply humorous, others poignant. 

 

And as you read through these, keep in mind Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) died over a hundred years ago. You’ll be surprised at how relevant many of his words are today. In the Bible there is a verse that says, “There is nothing new under the sun.” I believe it.

 


A Few More Quotes from Twain:

 

“Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.”

 

“Climate is what we expect. Weather is what we get.”

 

“Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain.”

 

“Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.”

 

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself.”

 

“Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.”

 

“If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.”

 

“There are basically two types of people. There are people who accomplish things and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded.”

 

“Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.”

 

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it.” 


“When your friends begin to flatter you on how young you look, it’s a sure sign you’re getting old.”

 

 

“Don’t let schooling interfere with your education.”

 

“Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”

 

“All generalizations are false, including this one.”

 

“It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.”

 

“It is no wonder truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.”


To Receive My Monthly Newsletter, Email Me at rebecca@waterswords.com.


Thank you for stopping by. And yes, I respond to comments.



 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here. I look forward to hearing from you.