Tuesday, October 12, 2021

  Brain Breaks Yield Big Rewards

Last week I suggested six fun things to do to take a break from your to-do list. Taking a break will actually help you get more done in the long run. If you missed that post, here’s the list.

 

1.         Splash in the water.

2.         Build an obstacle course with the pillows and cushions from the couch for you and the kids.

3.         Stand on your head.

4.         Have a paper airplane contest with your spouse or a friend.

5.         Sing at the top of your lungs.

6.         Laugh out loud.

 

This week I did more playing than writing. I did however manage to work on my latest novel. I was shocked at how much more I wrote in less time. I think it was due to the brain breaks I took. For this week’s blog post, I decided to share an excerpt. 


 


My lead character is a wounded warrior (Will) who has returned to his hometown and opened a tool and die business. Business is growing. Will knows more about the manufacturing than he does about running the business…but he’s learning. And he’s about to get some serious help in the office. Here’s the excerpt:

 

“Mr. Morganthaler?” 

            Will looked up to see a young, red-headed woman poking her head around his office door. “Yes?”

            The girl walked in. To Will she looked to be about fifteen years old. She crossed the room and dropped a paper on his desk. “I hear you’re hiring.”

            “Well, uh, Miss uh…” Will stood and picked up the paper she offered.

            “Shepard. Carra Lee Shepard,” she told him. “But most people call me Carly.”

            Will scanned the document. “You graduated from Longneck High? You aren’t by chance related to the sheriff are you?”

            “He’s my dad.” She seated herself in the chair opposite Will’s desk.

            Will relaxed and sat back down in his chair. “I thought all he had was a bunch of boys.”

            “Four boys before he and mom finally got it right.” 

            Will had to smile. The girl had spunk. “Okay, let me look this over.” He leaned forward and studied the resume. “Associate degree in business management. Impressive. Where is this college?”

            “It’s a business college near Indianapolis. As you can see, I graduated with honors.”

            “I do see that.” Will put the resume down and picked up the heavy metal paperweight on his desk shifting it from one hand to the other as he twisted his chair from side to side. “And you want to work in a small company like mine as my secretary for minimum wage?”

            “No.” Carly leaned forward. “I want to work for a growing company in Longneck as the office manager for a decent salary. As you can see, I’ve projected my starting salary based on your company stats and what I can bring to it.”

            Will put the paperweight down, leaned back in his chair, and crossed his arms over his chest. “Okay, tell me why I should hire you. My last secretary worked part-time for minimum wage.”

            “And she left.”

            Will looked up. He studied the woman before him and shrugged. “Fair enough. You know bookkeeping?”

            “Yes, and I have a good handle on technology as well as dealing with employees.”

            “Too bad you’re shy.” Will grinned. He uncrossed his arms and leaned forward. “What do you say we give you a trial period? Say a month? I’ll pay you hourly and if you work out, we’ll talk salary.”

            “Hourly for a month? No. I have other options.” Carly stood to leave.

            Will sat up. “Two weeks? I mean I can’t commit until I see your work, right?”

            “We settle on a salary now and I work on a two week probationary period. And as we grow, my salary and benefits grow. Deal?” Carly stuck out her hand.

            Will looked into the girl’s eyes. “Deal.”

            The young woman shrugged off her corduroy jacket and threw it on the back of the chair.  “Let’s get started.”

            Will looked at the now blank screen of his computer. “Okay, let’s get you set up.” He took her on a quick tour of the factory before showing her the desk and computer she would call her own in the office next to his. He told her to familiarize herself with the files located in the reception area, showing her the employee files, work orders, contracts, and invoices. He didn’t know what else to ask of her. Not yet. 

            “Uh, I think the papers and stuff you probably need to fill out is in one of these drawers. You know, the forms for withholding taxes and all that.”

            Carly looked around. “Of course. I’ll take care of everything.” 

            Will slipped back into his office unsure if he was still in charge or if he had just handed the company over to a twenty-something-year-old bulldozer.

 

Well, there it is. What do you think of Carly? Personally, I like her. 

By the way, I’m glad she has a connection to the Sherriff’s office. Someone is up to something in Will’s business. He’s going to need all the help he can get. I love to hear from my readers.




 

2 comments:

  1. I like Carly and I'm hooked. Is it for sale yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not even finished yet! Stay tuned. I'm glad you are interested!

      Delete

Leave your comments here. I look forward to hearing from you.