Tuesday, March 1, 2022

What is your Super Power?

What is Your Super Power? 

I grew up watching Superman episodes on our old black and white television. My friends and I would tie towels around our necks and pretend to fly. 

Superman had supernatural powers. Superman was “Faster than a speeding bullet; more powerful than a locomotive; able to leap tall buildings at a single bound.” He had X-ray vision and enhanced hearing. 

Superman was, in our minds, the real deal. I’ve seen reruns of the original Superman series and wonder now what I ever thought was amazing about them. The plots were forced and unrealistic. 

I’ve since watched other Super Heroes come to life on the big screen. Special effects have come a long way. Maybe a bit too far. 

I went with some friends to see Spider-Man: No Way Home last week. With rave reviews, I expected a great storyline. I didn’t get it. This was, in my opinion all about the special effects. 

I pictured a bunch of “twenty-somethings” at their computers in a studio. The conversation goes something like this: 

“You know what we could do? We could throw a bunch of super heroes in there.” 
“Let’s do it! And then let’s have them face all the villains at once!” 
“Yeah! And we could blow everything up!” 
 “Cool, dude, let’s go for it.” 

However,  the movie did make me think about “Super Powers.” 

I know four special women in my life with Super Powers they exhibit on a regular basis. 

My mom has the Super Power of HOSPITALITY. It is born of love and care. She can make anyone feel at home and will feed anyone who walks through her door. 

My oldest daughter, Allison, has the Super Powers of EMPATHY and CREATIVITY. She is intuitive about the needs of others and figuring out how to meet those needs. She’s also incredibly creative. I have a ton of ideas, but Allison acts on her ideas and subsequently meets needs others didn’t even realize they had. 

My middle daughter, Danielle, has the Super Powers of COMFORT and CARE. She demonstrates this daily with her own family, but extends that to anyone in need. One of the most touching memories is the night my husband died. Danielle lives in Wisconsin. It was late when she arrived to our home in Ohio. I’m sure she was hurting as much as we all were. I know she was tired. But she came up to the bedroom. I remember her stroking my face and singing sweet words of comfort over me. 

My youngest daughter’s Super Powers shine as both a NEGOTIATOR and PEACEKEEPER. Kendall has the eyes to see multiple perspectives and offer positive solutions to problems as they arise. 

I suppose my own Super Power is found in my POSITIVITY. I’ve been described as a “Pollyanna” and indeed, I try to look on the bright side whenever possible. I enjoy life. 

I may have been a bit disappointed in the movie, but it had a satisfying end. In the long run, isn’t that what we all want? 

Now it’s your turn. What is YOUR SUPER POWER?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here. I look forward to hearing from you.