Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Old Florida

"Exploring “Old Florida”

Most folks around the country hear the word ”Florida’’ and immediately think of warm weather, orange juice,  and sandy, sun-kissed beaches. I get it. But if you read my post about Rainbow River a couple of weeks ago, you begin to see the beauty of Florida’s interior.

After church Sunday, Mike suggested we take a ride to Chiefland for a sandwich at a great barbeque place he knows and maybe poke around the area a bit. Mike has been all over that part of the state and knew I would like to explore it a bit. 

A Sunday drive in the Corvette around Florida? I was in! I like those impromptu dates with my husband. 



Mike was right about the barbeque place. It was delicious. I trust Mike, but when you walk in a restaurant and it looks like everyone from the county is there, you know it’s going to be good food. And it was. Barbeque pork sandwiches and sweet tea. It doesn’t get any more Southern than that. We were off to a good start.

A few miles north of the restaurant we pulled off at a park located on the Suwannee River. I’ve only seen the river from the interstate before. Up close, the strong current hardly matches the lazy rhythm of the song. But it is beautiful! Captivating, even. A teenager was trying his hand fishing in the strong current, but meeting with no success. “Maybe if he took his shoes off,” I thought. I mean if you’re going to fish the Suwanee river…



The history of the bridge and a portion of the old structure is displayed in the park as well. It is all part of “Old Florida.”



We next drove miles on a desolate highway lined with woods and palmettos to Cedar Key. Cedar Key is an old coastal town. I have long heard of the place but had never been there. I know they have an outdoor art show there every year and many boats. I understand the restaurants in the area are excellent. All these things attract tourists, Florida’s number one industry.


We poked around a bit in art stores and examined the old structures lining the streets. We walked down along the waterfront. It is an interesting and beautiful piece of “Old Florida’s” history. But it was extremely hot and humid that day, so we made our way back to the car and headed home, vowing to return when the temperature cools a bit in the fall.





The day was wonderful. We set out to enjoy a bit of “Old Florida.” But that evening, as I stood on our back deck looking out over the lawn with the lake beyond, I realized “Old Florida” is in our own back yard. And it is beautiful.



6 comments:

  1. Where I’m living now, you drive by my house on the way to cedar key .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Uh...now I have to ask...who is this?

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I love to hear and read about "old" Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  3. Melani Barr SingletarySeptember 8, 2024 at 10:15 AM

    Remember to tell us when the weather is cooler and y'all return to the area you just wrote about. This "Old Florida" is the place to go and recapture the essence, the quintessence component of life in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a plan! Maybe others will join us!

      Delete

Leave your comments here. I look forward to hearing from you.