Wednesday, March 18, 2020

You'll Get Through This...Even This



Several years ago I participated in a Bible study by Max Lucado called You’ll Get Through This. In it, he highlighted the story of Joseph (of the Old Testament…not to be confused with Mary’s husband). At one point Joseph is thrown into a deep pit by his brothers. He can only “look up.” That’s the point. Bad things happen to good people, but with God’s help we get through it.

My husband Tom died a year after that particular Bible study ended. I copied the words from Max Lucado’s text and tucked the paper in my pocket for the visitation.

You’ll get through this.
It won’t be painless. It won’t be quick.
But God will use this mess for good.
Don’t be foolish or naïve.
But don’t despair either.
With God’s help, you’ll get through this.



After the funeral, my friend, Lina, found a mug with the words on it from the Lucado study. It is one of my favorites. It’s a reminder. God loves us, cares for us, is there for us, died for us, and sees us through…everything. 

My trust and hope during all difficulties in life rests in God. My faith clings to the promise of Jesus and what He did for me on that cross. My hope is found in that empty tomb.

As I write this post, the world is facing a pandemic. The coronavirus is spreading through every nation. Every country. Touching nearly every community. I’m not troubled. I am not living in fear. If I get the virus I will either recover or die. That doesn’t worry me.

Joseph was thrown into a pit, sold into slavery, imprisoned, and forgotten. His journey wasn’t without pain and suffering. It wasn’t quickly resolved. But God used the mess Joseph was in and all he encountered to make something good happen for His people.

So what good might come from this viral threat? I don’t know, but I see people engaging in more family time. People are cooking at home and sharing meals as a family. I see people looking out for their neighbors. 

And maybe, just maybe, in this very divisive time of American history, we will come together as a nation. Problem solving and working together for the common good is in our national DNA. In the words of Max Lucado “It won’t be painless and it won’t be quick. But God will use this mess for good.”

Don’t forget to share a picture of your favorite mug and why you treasure it. At the end of this series, I’ll post those stories shared and randomly select one person to receive a $10 Amazon gift card.

And if you want to know more about Joseph, you’ll find his story in the Old Testament portion of the Bible beginning in Genesis 37. If you are interested in Max Lucado’s book, You’ll Get Through This, CLICK HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here. I look forward to hearing from you.