Tuesday, November 23, 2021

A Knot Head for Thanksgiving

A Knot Head For Thanksgiving 

“She had big blue eyes and dark wavy hair…

And a knot on her head, but we didn’t care.”

 

Yep, that was me. It is part of a poem my mother wrote about me the year I was born. I was born with a knot on the crown of my head. It didn’t bother my parents. They loved me anyway. 

 

I am sporting a new knot or two on my forehead this Thanksgiving. I was a bit dehydrated and passed out. Oh, how I hate to type those words. It makes me feel like a klutz… an “old” klutz. 

 

But there were some good things to ponder; Some “Thanks-Giving” to be had. For instance:

 

·      I didn’t damage the door jamb I thumped with my noggin.


·     The blood and subsequent vomit were all in one tidy puddle on the tile floor making for easy cleanup.


·     My daughter was a phone call away.


·     My good friend drove me to the hospital.


·     The hospital was not at all busy, so they took me in immediately.


·     My stay lasted only about four hours.


·     They did a CAT scan and found my brain was fine…no cats.


·     They did an EKG and my heart is good.


·     They drew blood…left me enough to keep going and determined my blood is good. (Good enough, I guess. I don’t actually do “medi-speak” so I trust them when they gave me these reports.)


·     My mom spent the night with me and cared for me…like old times.

 

By the way, the knot on the back of my head as a baby vanished and I trust the one on my forehead will as well. Here is that part of the poem:

 

“A few months later, those blue eyes were brown,

The knot had vanished and she was the cutest baby in town.”

 

Yeah, well, remember it was written by my mama…






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here. I look forward to hearing from you.