Tuesday, November 2, 2021

The Marathon

 The Marathon:

Finish the Race

 

The last Sunday in October, my youngest daughter completed her first full marathon. She’s been training for months. Her goal was to run/walk the 26+ miles in five hours. She finished it in 4 hours and 53 minutes. Wow. I would still be running. No, make that crawling to the finish line. 



 

Several friends said, “You must be so proud of her!” 

 

I am. But there is more. I am challenged by her tenacity. Oh, I doubt I will ever run a marathon. I may attempt to walk the half marathon, but run? Not likely. 

 

Kendall set a goal, developed a plan, trained for the event, engaged others in her quest, and pushed her way to the finish line. 

 

I needed that “shot in the arm” reminder. Maybe you do, too.

 

I’ve certainly set goals and seen them to fruition in the past. It is how I managed to complete college and go on to earn my advanced degrees. It’s how I took charge of projects when I was a classroom teacher. It’s the mindset my team used to create an award winning teacher licensure program at the university when I was a professor there. It’s the structure I employed in writing my first novel. And second. 

 

Set a goal, learn what needs to be done to complete the goal, bring others along side you, and press on until you accomplish what you set out to do.

 

I don’t know about you, but sometimes I get so caught up in the vision of the end product or goal, I fudge on the process. Before I know it, the race has started and I’m still fiddling with my shoelaces. Figuratively speaking of course. 

 

Here’s an example. (You probably have one of your own.) I’ve been working on a suspense novel. I started crafting the book the last week of October in 2014. When Tom died, I could barely breathe, much less write. Last year I picked the manuscript up again as my focus for November. I was determined to complete the story. 

 

And I did. I was pleased to put the task behind me. It had been looming over me for six years. I handed it over to a few beta readers, incorporated their suggestions and called the book done. I submitted the to manuscript to a publisher and waited. 

 

The publisher said they like my writing. They seemed to see some value in what I gave them. They are willing to work with me to get the book where it needs to be. 

 

That is huge. Trust me. The suggestions they made are intense. This will take time. However, the fact they are willing to invest time in me is insanely generous. (Remember the part about engaging others?)

 

I’ll do it. As I said, it will take time. It will take a slowing down of the process. I have clear goals. I need more training. I need to stick to my writing schedule with the same diligence my daughter gave to her marathon preparation. 

 

I feel good. I’m not at the start of the race. I’m not at the end. I’m somewhere in the middle where the cheering crowds are thinner, the hills steeper, and the water stations farther apart. 

 

If you’ve followed my blog you know I often say, “The things we leave undone are the things that make us tired.”

 

But here is a new one for you. “It is finishing that long run that gives us energy.”


I’m in for the writing marathon. 

 

As soon as I tie my shoes.


How about you? What goal do you need to meet? I'm here to cheer.





 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for all that you share. Yesterday's talk was interesting, inspiring and very well done! I have just begun reading your blog which has also been great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yesterday was fun and I so appreciate your words of encouragement.

      Delete

Leave your comments here. I look forward to hearing from you.