Tuesday, November 21, 2023

What's on Your Plate?

 What’s on Your Plate?

 

As I write this, I am preparing for Thanksgiving. It will be a small gathering. 


My family in Ohio and Wisconsin will be “doing their own thing” as they say. I was thinking about our large family gatherings. The cleaning and cooking, setting the table, and the long to-do list I live by the weeks prior to the holiday.  

 

I occurs to me I often talk about having “too much on my plate” when facing a new challenge or opportunity. 

 

As in…

“Would you like to join our women’s club? We have a wonderful time and serve the community.”

“I’m sorry. It sounds interesting, but I have     too much on my plate right now.”

 

I am not making excuses. I really do have a lot going on. 

 

I am, after all, a newlywed. Mike and I knew each other as teens, but we are still getting to know each other as adults. That’s a good thing. 

 

We bought a house that needs some updates and decided to live in it a bit to discover exactly what we want to do. Now we are working with a builder to discuss our next step.

 

My writing became muddled after Tom died. Sure I published a few short stories and I kept my blog going. Yet, in truth, I have been as unsettled as the characters in my books. 


Now I am writing again. I am working on a novel with a character I know and like. I’m in my writing zone, but it takes time and daily effort to write a book.

 

I’m sure we all have a lot to do. 

Some, like me, have a spouse, kids, even grandkids. 

Some of my readers have jobs they leave drive to daily.

All of us have work to do around the house.

Active in your church and community? Great.

 

I’ve often heard it said, “If you want something done, ask a busy person.”


There is truth in that. 

 

But…remember...


It’s a “plate.” Not a “platter.”

 

So my advice….now that I’m old enough to give it…my advice is to take a close look at all you take on. 

 

Weigh your options before you dish up more than you can handle.

 

Decide what is the meat, your main course. Stay true to that.


Be sure to add some veggies and fruit. They keep you balanced.


Leave room for dessert. Everyone needs something fun in life.

 

Of course a small diversion here and there…something akin to a sprinkling of salt or pepper can add a little spice to life. As long as you don’t go too heavy on the spice and cover the main course so much you lose your taste for what’s important. 

 

Let me hear from you.

 

What is your “main dish” in life…or what is your favorite “dessert”? How do you find balance on your “plate”?

 

And when you do feel a little overwhelmed... Remember these words:

 

            “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, giving thanksgiving, present your request to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ.”

Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV)

 

Wishing You All a Wonderful Thanksgiving and Holiday Season!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here. I look forward to hearing from you.