Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Dinner Hacks

 Dinner Hacks

I learned early in my adult life that when the dinner bell rings everyone is suddenly hungry. Okay, no…I do not have a dinner bell. However, the same flurry of activity and the anticipation of food arrives nearly the same time every day. 

There is often the “What’s for dinner?” question thrown around. I have learned answering that question with, “I don’t know…what did you cook?” is not met with the humor intended. Well, the sarcastic humor intended, anyway.

I grew up in a time when women did most of the cooking in the household. That isn’t necessarily true anymore. For example, my son-in-law, David is a great cook and Mike, though more comfortable at the grill, is willing to pitch in if I need him. 

Actually, I enjoy cooking. Most of the time.

Grandma always said,
"Set the table first."

 

There are times however, I get busy writing or completing some project and don’t enjoy the pressure of having to come up with something. On some of those occasions, Mike is also willing to pullout his favorite “recipe” called Door Dash. Just sayin’. Not Knocking it. It works for me. On occasion. Of course, too much going out or ordering in is costly as well as loaded with stuff that isn’t particularly good for you.

That said, here are a few hacks to keep your Hungry Harrys at bay:

1)        As a young bride, my grandmother told me always set the table first. When your family heads toward the kitchen and sees the table is set, they figure dinner is nearly ready and so they go about their business until the proverbial dinner bell rings. I’ve used this one many times.

2)        Craft a list of menu items so when you’re tired you don’t have to “come up with something.” I always keep pasta sauce and a variety of pastas in my pantry. Usually, you’ll find string cheese (great to stuff manicotti) or frozen meatballs in the freezer. Those meals can be ready in minutes.

3)        Give yourself a few “I don’t have to think about dinner tonight” days. For example, when the weather is good, Mike always grills burgers on Fridays. I don’t need to even think about dinner on Fridays except to heat a can of baked beans and open a bag of chips. I know families who have “Taco Tuesdays.” That is a great “no think” cooking day.

Those are a few ideas. I’m sure you have more. Keep a frozen pizza around? Canned chicken for quick chicken salad? 

Of course, when I was a young bride and on a strict budget, the menu included “dinner and mom and dad’s or dinner at grandma’s. Hey, sometimes you do what you have to do, right?

 

2 comments:

  1. I *hate* that question!

    My go-to? A can of seasoned (basil, garlic, oregano) diced tomatoes; a cup of whatever small-ish pasta is on hand, cooked; and a diced chicken breast, cooked through (or leftover is fine). Toss together, simmer for five minutes, sprinkle cheese on top. There's always salad in the fridge. And we're done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! And I will try it!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here. I look forward to hearing from you.