Tuesday, July 30, 2024

The Value of Vicks

 The Value of Vicks

Growing up, I can remember my mom treating a chest cold with a poultice of Vicks VapoRub salve. A head cold called for Vicks on the nose. If the congestion was severe, you might find yourself under a towel tent leaning over a steamy Vicks salve, deeply inhaling the treatment. 

Colds. Congestion. That was my experience with the clear, soft, aromatic salve. I knew it was made of menthol, camphor, and eucalyptus. And I knew it came in a little blue jar. That was the limit of my understanding. 

Then I married Mike.  Mike is a champion for Vicks Salve. 


Meet "Dr. Mike"


Dr. Mike prescribes the stuff for…well, everything. No matter what I have going on, Mike asks, “Did you try putting a little Vicks on it?” It is his “go to” for healing. (My go-to has always been chocolate pudding. Just saying.)

You strain a muscle? Mike says, “Rub a little Vicks on it, baby.” 

Your throat hurts? Mike says, “Rub some Vicks on it.”

You have a headache? Mike says, "Rub some Vicks on the bottom of your feet."

Really? But that's what they say.

You get a small cut while you’re peeling vegetables or an insect bites you while you’re outside weeding the flowerbed? “Vicks Salve” is Mike’s answer.

While in Ohio, Mike had some congestion. I pulled the little blue jar out of the cabinet for him.

A connoisseur of Vicks, Mike quickly pointed out what I handed him was the store brand copy of the miracle cure. He all but turned up his nose at the stuff suggesting I had purchased it deliberately to save a few pennies. In truth I didn’t notice the differences. It was in a blue jar and the label was similar. And it worked. So Mike relented and used it. At least that one time. But the real Vicks is his go-to for any and every ailment.

So this week we looked it up. It turns out, according to the YouTube expert we consulted, there are numerous uses for the stuff. Everything from muscle pains and cracked heels to an irritated throat and minor cuts. It supposedly will heal minor cuts, toenail fungus and earaches. 

And if that isn’t enough, you can use it to stop a door hinge from squeaking or put it on the nose of your racehorse to keep him focused. Who knew? They even claim it will fade bruises and clear acne.

As it turns out, Mike is probably closer in his claim that Vicks cures  all ills than I am with chocolate pudding. 

But for the record, I will continue to hold onto my view of chocolate pudding as strong medicine simply because it tastes better. 

It may not cure everything, but it doesn’t hurt.

6 comments:

  1. 😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you! I can always use a smile!

      Delete
  2. 🤣🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with Mike. I use Vicks for everything also. My Mom instilled that in me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll pass this on! I know he'll appreciate the support!

      Delete

Leave your comments here. I look forward to hearing from you.