Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Debby

 Debby

I’ve known a few “Debby’s" in my life. It was a popular name for my generation. Probably because of an actress named Debby …or was it Debbie…Reynolds. However you spell it, there were always multiple Debby’s in my classes from first grade through high school.

This blog isn’t actually about those friends. It is about the hurricane by the same name. 


My High School Friend
Debby Westlake
Shared This "Hurricane Selfie"
for This Week's Post.
Thank You, Debby!


Growing up in Florida I often heard old timers say, “What we need right now is a good hurricane.” I didn’t get it. I guess “a good hurricane” fills the lakes, waters the plants, and cools the air.

It does seem the hurricanes today hit harder and wreak more havoc. Of course, in the last fifty years there have been many changes to the Florida landscape. Now I see fewer orange groves and open fields. It seems our newest state products are condominiums, HOA planned communities, and theme parks. 

Maybe we just see more devastation because there is more in the storm’s path. 

When Hurricane Debby headed up the west coast of Florida this weekend, Mike and I watched the weather reports tracking the storm system as it left the Caribbean and gained strength in Gulf waters. We watched the news channel as residents along the coast, lined up in their cars to collect bags filled with sand.  

We weren’t particularly worried…just interested. 

We do have friends who live on the Gulf and have lived there for many years. They’ve never been hit by a hurricane. We haven’t either, but we are all still watchful. That is the prudent way to live. Being watchful.

Mike and I live inland, but on a lake. Weather reports indicated we would have plenty of rain. Fortunately, the Fish and Game Commission keeps an eye on the water table of our lake and do what they can to make sure we avoid flooding in our area. Strategically placed “flood locks” were opened in some areas and closed in others.

The rains were to hit on Sunday. Mike and I went to church under clear skies, but of course, the rain started as we left church and headed to a car dealership to pick up our truck. By the time we arrived back at our house, the rain was steady. 

Our house has a metal roof, so the sound was actually restful.

 The rain came down all afternoon. Our dogs weren’t too happy, but they were good girls. They braved the wet grass when there was a break in the weather so they could do their business.  

As night fell, the rhythm of the rain lulled us into a deep and satisfying sleep. 

We woke to learn Hurricane Debby had made landfall nearly100 miles north of us in Steinhatchee, Florida and was heading east across the state. As I write this, I know Hurricane Debby isn’t finished yet. And yes, there will be more storms coming.We are early in the hurricane season. 

Hurricanes are part of nature. 

My heart aches for those who lost loved ones in the storm and for those whose homes and businesses have been destroyed. 

Debby is a good reminder to always be prepared, be watchful, and  be thankful. 

But isn’t that the message of how we should live…in season and out of season? Be Prepared? Be Watchful? Be Thankful?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks! Becky was kind enough to ask to use my one of my photos.
    My name is Debra Sue .
    If Becky’s blog piqued your interest in names here’s a tidbit about my name and its origin. Though, rarely, called by my given name, except when in trouble, I’m grateful for Debra Sue.
    My mom‘s name was June and my dad’s name was Bill. I was nearly named Billy June, or so the story goes.
    I thought about Becky‘s blog this week in the context of having children and names. Years ago, people prepared for families ,differently, in all three areas of her insightful message. Maybe she’ll write one on the influence of technology and families. Your message was ,as always, insightful, helpful, and with a bit of fun.🤗🩷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for the photo, Hurricane Debby!

      Delete
  2. 😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here. I look forward to hearing from you.