Vette Fest Year 2

 Vette Fest Year 2

My second Vette Fest was great. (If you missed the first one, I’ll put a link at the bottom.)

Mike and I enjoy our little red corvette. Mike is a “car guy” and I guess I’m becoming a “car girl.” Of sorts. 

I know how to drive a stick shift. Of course I’ve been doing that a long time. My dad had a rule. I couldn’t start dating until I knew how to drive a standard transmission.  Of course that doesn’t matter with our Vette. It’s an automatic.

I know a few cars by their appearance…you know, body style, lights, special features. Of course, Mike knows much more than I do. So, although I have a smattering of knowledge, I also know I have a lot to learn. 

Not a Vette, But Fun!
And although it was “Vette Fest” featuring Corvettes, there were other cars there, too. Some of the “oldies” celebrated their glory days. The picture here is of 1955 Chevy with a tray of food on the side. Drive-in restaurants were great places to eat and meet up with friends “back in the day.” (Think HAPPY DAYS…or ME) Yep, I remember those times. Yes, I am that old. 

I digress. Back to Vette Fest. We left our hotel, got in the long line of cars, grabbed breakfast at Burger King and waited for the gates to open on Saturday. 

I need to back up a minute. We didn’t actually “grab” our breakfast sandwiches. We walked up to the counter and waited for someone to take our order. Note…waited. And… waited. Others came in and grabbed their order without ordering. They ordered online. There was another way to order in the restaurant. No sign. No directions. Just a screen.

So, we waited. Finally, the server spoke to us. He was shocked we didn’t use the computerized system. We shocked him by ordering our food by speaking to him. I was starting to feel…uh… Outdated? Out of the loop? Not going to say the other O-word. Because I don’t feel Old. Oops…it just slipped out, I promise.

We finished breakfast, climbed in our car and were soon heading into the venue. In the long line of Corvettes we snaked our way along the brick streets of Old Town, parked where we were directed to park and settled in for a great day. 

Car guys…and girls…are a respectable, fun group of folks. We would walk along and chat with other Corvette owners and when we were seated by our car, Mike would answer questions   and chat with folks who came by. 

Our Car...

I shopped a bit. I found a great Christmas gift for one of the grands. We discovered a new Puerto Rican restaurant with super food and great service. The place across from where we were parked also had great food.

And…we participated in the parade of cars. Vette Fest is more than a bunch of “car people” getting together. It’s a celebration of story. A recognition of freedom. And…it’s a fun date for two adults who can’t order breakfast but can drive fast, their hair blowing the wind. 

Okay, we didn’t drive fast with our hair blowing in the wind. But it sounded kinda cool for a minute there, didn’t it?


By the way, over 450 Corvettes showed up! I love it!

Click HERE to read about last year’s Vette Fest.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking Across Florida

Two Truths and a Lie

Kosova: The Bus Ride Chapter 1, Scene 3