Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Game On: an Interview with Author Lillian Duncan

GAME ON: An Interview with Author Lillian Duncan
I am excited today to introduce you to Lillian Duncan. Lillian writes wonderful suspense novels and some mysteries as well.  Also, I’m happy about this interview because next month, Lillian is going to be a guest lecturer for Whodunnit University. More about that in the coming weeks.

Me: Lillian, thank you so much for giving me this opportunity to interview you. I love that we have so many wonderful writers right here in Ohio.

Lillian: Thanks for having me. My husband and I live in a small town in Ohio. Nothing like where you live. I mean it is small! We only have 1 traffic light.

Me: [laughing] I’ve lived in towns like that! Tell us a bit about your writing.

Lillian: I like both is Christian mystery and suspense with a little horror thrown in from time to time. I guess writing is sort of like eating. You are what you read, and for me that means I’m a suspense/mystery writer.

CLICK HERE TO SEE IT ON AMAZON
Me: I’m fascinated. Tell us about your newest release: GAME ON.

Lillian: Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean that someone’s not out to get you!
That’s the premise behind GAME ON. Politician Lucas McMann believes he’s the victim of an elaborate stalking game. Since he has no proof, his friends and colleagues believe he’s being paranoid.

Me:  I love it. Where did you get the idea?

Lillian: Actually I was watching a TV talk show. This particular guest believed that many of his “friends” were actually stalking him. My writer’s mind took over from there and I created Lucas McMann, a politician who believes he’s being stalked but nobody else does. And it went from there.

Me: Could you share the book blurb?

Lillian: Love to. Here’s what’s on the back cover:
“Politics is no game when a stalker nears and there’s nowhere to hide.

A run for the senate is just a step on the road to the White House for Congressman Lucas McMann. But his public profile has put him in the middle of a crazed gunman’s twisted game of stalking. If he wants to win the election and reclaim his life, he’ll need the help of the one person who’d rather leave their past behind them.

Private Investigator Nikki Kent knows how to dig up secrets and discover those who exist in the shadows. She should. She’s good at hiding secrets of her own. Can she risk her own discovery for someone so desperate for her help? For the first man who broke her heart?

With new-found faith, she’ll help Lucas search for the answers. But with the truth comes a danger they must face together.”

Me: It sounds intriguing and I saw the book trailer. That was spectacular. It was also really scary but it made me want to know more.

Lillian: My publisher outdid herself when she created the book trailer for GAME ON. Your readers can check it out at: https://youtu.be/t6MK2UGB1P0. 

Me: What do you want readers to take away from GAME ON?

Lillian: I think there are several lessons to be learned. One of the most important is that forgiving others isn’t letting them off the hook. It’s letting go of your own anger and bitterness so you can have the life God wants for you.

Me: Most people don’t think of murder mysteries and suspense novels as Christian Fiction. What do you say to them?

Lillian: I can certainly understand their point of view. And for some readers my stories might be a bit too graphic or edgy and that’s okay, I would say my readers are those who like traditional suspense and mystery novels but are tired of all the explicit language and sex scenes that aren’t necessary to a good story.
I don’t promote or glorify violence in my stories. I show characters experiencing the natural consequences of their bad choices and bad actions. My characters are usually on a spiritual journey as well—but some are further along than others.

Me: A lot of my readers are just starting to dip their toes in the writing water. I sometime get questions from them about obstacles they face. I know you’ve had your share of obstacles. Care to share? And maybe offer a little advice?

Lillian: Sure. Well, I worked for many years as a Speech and Language Pathologist. I loved my job and miss it. Mostly I miss the children, not the paper work. If it weren’t for serious health issues, I would still be working. In 2012 I was diagnosed with bilateral brain tumors and subsequently a genetic disorder called Neurofibromatosis Type 2. A long name that basically means I can develop tumors at any time on my nerves but especially in the brain.
It’s been a long, long journey but God is good. There’s a lot I can’t do these days, but I can still write!
I hold onto the promise in Romans 8:28.  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” The treatments I’ve had and the side effects wreaked havoc on my health! I was very sick but I kept repeating this verse over and over. It kept me trusting God and it kept me in peace and joy in spite of how bad I felt at the time.

Me: I love that verse as well. Since I’ve known you these past couple of years, I see that resilience surface over and over again. You are an inspiration. Any other words of encouragement you might offer aspiring authors out there?

Lillian: DON’T GIVE UP! It took me 15 years to get a traditional contract, and now I have almost 20 books published! If I can do it, so can you. But not if you give up. KEEP WRITING!

Me: Great advice. Anything else? 

Lillian: To celebrate the release of GAME ON, I’m giving away a virtual basket of goodies at www.lillian-duncan.com  including Amazon gift cards. For all the details go to my blog, Tiaras & Tennis Shoes. Simply leave a comment on the blog post GAME ON at www.lillian-duncan.com and you’ll be entered.

Me: Again, thank you for sharing today. I love your books and I am so happy you are going to be part of Whodunnit University next month.

Lillian: I look forward to it.

Readers, if you want to connect with Lillian Duncan, checkout these links:
Devotional blog: www.PowerUpWithGod.com
TIARAS & TENNIS SHOES blog: www.lillian-duncan.com.
Lillian’s social media addresses are @LillianDuncan for Twitter and http://www.facebook.com/lillian.k.duncan for Facebook


Lillian Duncan…Stories of faith mingled… with murder & mayhem.
Lillian is a multi-published author who lives in Ohio Amish country with her husband. After more than 30 years working as a speech pathologist for children, she believes in the power of words to transform lives, especially God’s Word.
Lillian writes the types of books she loves to read—fast-paced suspense and mystery with a touch of romance that demonstrates God’s love for all of us.


Be sure to leave your comments below. I know Lillian would love to connect with you!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here. I look forward to hearing from you.