Tuesday, September 21, 2021

New, Fresh, and Strong Again...Renewal

Renewal. 

That is my watchword for the week. Renewal. 

Merriam-Webster describes renewal as “the state of being made new, fresh, or strong again.”

New? Fresh? Strong again? We all need it. 


We often search for it. We plan a two week vacation in the hope of finding that renewed strength. I know. I’ve been there. 

 

But the best experience is when that sense of renewal comes unexpectedly. 

 

Fungi and Flowers:
So Beautiful

A friend of mine and I took a walk in a local park this week. It was raining a bit. Not much. Just enough to make everything in the forest look fresh. The colors of the wildflowers appeared more vibrant than ever. There was a sense of energy. A sense of renewal.

 

The next day, we had the opportunity to visit with my cousin and his wife on their farm. Their beautiful home is the epitome of renewal. No, they did not buy an old farmhouse and breathe new life into it. 


They designed and built the house themselves. 

 

A new house built to fit the era of the farm. Renewal.

 

A spiral staircase rescued from an old house in a gravel pit given new life in their home. Renewal.

 

Good conversation over a delicious meal, topped off with peach cobbler and ice cream? Renewal.

 

Oh, the Sweet Taste
of a Pawpaw!

A ride through my cousins’ woods in their 4X4 utility vehicle, stopping to sample the sweet taste of a ripe pawpaw, learning the names of a variety of plants and flowers along the way? Renewal.

 

Renewal isn’t about re-inventing your life. It is often about reconnecting with the beautiful world God created and sharing the experience with people you love. Yep, renewal is my watchword for the week.

 

I think we all need those moments. We all need to take time away from our routines and our televisions. We need time to walk in the rain, enjoy the flowers, engage in conversations with people we care about, and try something new. 

 

I would love to hear about those unexpected times you have found that quiet strength; that time of renewal.

 

So this I leave with you today. It is taken from the blessing in the Old Testament in the book of Numbers. It’s in Chapter 6, verses 24-26:  “The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.”

 

Renewal.


P.S. There was this one other little renewal issue. It turns out my auto license tags expired this week. One comment from a friend reminded me. So at 8:00 the next day I was at the license bureau. Just in the nick of time. Like I said...renewal is my watchword for the week!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here. I look forward to hearing from you.